What to Eat for a Stronger Immune System
It’s not enough to wash your hands with Dettol and practice other good hygiene habits to develop a stronger immune system. You also have to follow a healthy diet including these super foods to help build your body immunity. (according wiki)
Unfortunately, today’s hectic lifestyle leaves most people’s diets comprising of unhealthy and comfort foods. They have to reduce its consumption and include these super foods, and 8 to 10 glasses of water to their diet for improved body immunity.
- Zinc is very important for developing white blood cells, and beef is rich in zinc. So a 3-oz serving of lean beef provides about 30% of your daily zinc requirements. If you don’t eat beef, oysters, yogurt, pork, milk and fortified cereals can give you your daily zinc.
- Including oats and barley to your diet helps build body immunity as they contain beta-glucan which is high in antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. They not only boost your body immunity, but also help speed wound healing and helps antibiotics work better. So include at least one of them to your everyday whole grains servings.
- Mushrooms promote a healthy immune system as they increase the production and activity of white blood cells which help when you have an infection. Consume at least ¼ to 1 oz. of shiitake, reishi or maitake mushrooms a few times daily for maximum immune benefits.
- Garlic contains allicin which helps fight infections and bacteria. Eating two raw cloves a day, and adding crushed garlic to your cooking help to not only build your body immunity but also reduce the possibilities of colorectal and stomach cancers.
- Shellfish like oysters, crabs, lobsters and clams contain selenium which helps the body’s white blood cells produce cytokines which clear flu viruses from the body. Fish like salmon, herring and mackerel are important for body immunity as they contain omega-3 fats which help reduce inflammation, protect lungs from cold and respiratory infections and also increases airflow. Unless you are pregnant or plan to be pregnant, including two servings a week helps boost your body immunity.
- Yogurt contains probiotics which keep the gut and intestinal tract free of germs. So add two 6-ounce servings a day for a body immunity boost.
- Eating half a cup of foods rich in beta-carotene like sweet potatoes, canned pumpkin, carrots, squash and cantaloupe help promote healthy and strong skin which is a very important part of your body immune system.
- Tea is not only antioxidant rich, but contains the amino acid L-theanine which provides an immune boost. Drinking several cups of tea a day not only helps you stay awake but also boosts your body immunity.