What is insomnia? (Symptoms and Treatment Methods)
If you find it difficult falling asleep, don’t worry; this is a problem practically 70% of the world’s population suffers from. Insomnia is a sleep disorder where the sufferer finds it difficult to fall asleep and stay asleep which leaves them with poor quality sleep.
To avoid insomnia forst off all you need to choose the best body pillow.
The common symptoms of insomnia are emotional instability, irritability, change in sleep patterns and a state of confusion while working which leads to lack of concentration and coordination. Other related symptoms are fatigue because of insufficient sleep, loss of memory, depression and reduced work efficiency.
People suffering from insomnia end up waking up too early in the morning and may also wake up at night to find it difficult falling sleep once again. This has led to sufferers treating the condition using sleeping pills ranging from barbiturates to benzodiazepines. (source)
Good sleeping habits
However as these tablets have its share of side effects, its better treating insomnia by practicing these good sleep habits or hygiene.
- Going to sleep and getting up at the same time every day
- Avoiding naps in the day as it makes you less sleepy at night.
- Avoiding nicotine, alcohol and caffeine late at night as alcohol can interfere with sleep quality and stimulating caffeine and nicotine prevent you from falling asleep.
- Regular exercise helps but don’t exercise within four hours of sleeping as it stimulates you and makes it difficult falling asleep.
- While heavy meals should be avoided late at night, light snacks before bedtime can help you sleep.
- Make sure your bedroom is comfortable, dark and quiet. Use a sleeping mask if light is a problem and ear plugs for any noise problems.
- Following a routine before sleeping like reading a book or listening to music helps you fall asleep.
- Not using your bed for anything else but sleep or sex.
- Getting up and reading or doing something which isn’t stimulating so that you feel sleepy when you can’t fall asleep.
- Creating a to-do list before sleeping if you can’t sleep because something is bothering you.
In case of chronic insomnia, it is best treated by treating underlying conditions which cause the insomnia like a heavy work schedule, unnecessary stress and an unhealthy lifestyle. If this doesn’t work, your doctor may suggest behavioral therapy where you change the habits which worsen insomnia and learn sleep promoting habits like relaxation and sleep reconditioning.
It’s only if your insomnia affects you so much that you can’t function in the day because you feel sleepy and tired that your doctor may prescribe sleeping pills. However this will only be for a short time after which you need to practice good sleeping habits.